3.13.2008

For when people ask me "Why are you so angry all the time?"

Yesterday I was sitting in the staff room. Lunch had just finished and I was waiting around for cleaning time. A guy came in, I think he sells sports equipment, and he was talking to the accounts guy. Then the accounts guy had to run out to talk to some maintenance people. That left me and a guy who has absolutely no relationship to the school in the room. I was sitting behind my desk, reading something.

At that moment an older lady comes in, probably someone's mother. She pops her head in the room asking for the accounts guy. She has something for him. As I start speaking the words to tell her that he's not in at the moment, but that I can get him if she waits a minute. This women looks at me, decides I'm not worth it, panics...and then to put the cherry on top the sports equipment guy begins to talk over me and tell her that he has no idea where the accounts guy is, that he his waiting for him also.

I wanted to fucking kill somebody.

I simply got up and went to get the accounts guy. I knew where he was, I wasn't so fucking retarded as to miss the fact that the printer repairman had been through ten minutes before. They'd be at the end of the hall, in the copy room. I knew that because I fucking work at the school.

I tried not to show how visibly steamed I was, so I went to take a walk to calm down. As I was walking by the lady pops her head around the corner. She says thank you. I couldn't really help myself, so I replied in perfect Japanese..."I'd like to reply, but I don't understand a word of Japanese"...and kept walking. We were supposed to be having a ceremony in the gym, so I headed there. Only there were no people. Come to think of it, it had been odd that no one was in the staff room in the first place.

I went back to ask the accounts guy..."Where is everyone?"

"Oh, you didn't know. They changed the ceremony to the big gym across the street?"

Of course I didn't know. And everyone had got up and left the room without so much as a "Hey Darrell, let's shake a leg."

I can't believe I have to be here for another four and a half months.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Dad said...

Remember that sarcasm is lost there...

We are coming! See you in a few weeks.

Love,
Dad

p.s. You have 20 months behind you! Hopefully, when time passes you will remember the kids, fun things and the good people that you met there.

20:33  
Blogger Isaac said...

That sounds pretty brutal.

I was going to write something about how it's not so bad as compared to something else, but I hate it when people do that to me.

Come hang-a-lang!

00:17  
Blogger dmac said...

Yeah, it isn't so bad really. But when you've been condescended to and patronized for about two years straight it really starts to get to you. Needless to say I would like to come hang-a-lang. And I will.

07:02  
Anonymous ashley said...

that story made me really sad. i'm sorry you're not happy.

07:45  
Blogger Jamie said...

oh man can i relate to this so well this week. that really sucks, but at least you were able to have your say!

08:31  
Blogger Lindsay said...

oh no you di'n't!

11:22  
Blogger Kenneth Griggs said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

07:11  
Blogger Kenneth Griggs said...

That sounds like the Japan I remember...

07:12  
Blogger andrewkudlick said...

yeah, i hate that shit, man.
4 more months!

btw, do you have any plans for when we get back to the states? I propose a pizza party! preferably with no corn, tuna, or mayonaise!

14:08  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home