5.16.2007

Yabusame

So, like, a reeaaally long time ago I went to see a demonstration of a cool japanese "sport" called yabusame. It's basically archery on horseback, and it has a history going back hundreds of years.

It was a beautiful day, and as you can see I took quite a few pictures of the cherry blossoms which were in full effect. As with all things Japanese, the yabusame demo had a 30-40 minute opening ceremony, and about 15-20 minutes of actual archery. It was still cool. These dudes (and dudettes) ride at full speed and have to fire at a target the size of a dinner plate. Back in the day, if you missed you committed ritual suicide. Luckily today you don't have to do that so much.

There was an exciting a scary moment when one of the archers fell off his horse. I have the "after" shot of that here. All in all it was a good day, and it even ended with a little bit of taiko, or Japanese drumming.

So yeah, slowly but surely I'm gonna start updating this old blog again. So keep coming back to check for updates.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous isaac said...

What could be better than archery by itself? Why, archery on horseback with the threat of death as failure's reward!

I still have never ridden a horse and it makes me sad. My girlfriend's aunt has two horses, and this weekend I have to choose between going to a pair of 10 year old kids' birthday party at aforementioned aunt's house just to ride a horse MAYBE, or to go to FNM, where I haven't been for like 2 months...It's such a hard decision!

21:40  
Blogger Ashley said...

Hey hey hey I'm back in the USA. The cherry blossom pictures were beautiful!!

19:59  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home