5.18.2007

Dan Hess, Donut King

A huge personal role model of mine, Dan Hess (of The Skanker Sores, The Ratchet Boys, The Ready Steady Go!, etc), passed away earlier this week. He had been battling against Hodgkin's disease for over a year.

This guy (along with his perpetual partner in crime, Michelle) did so many great things for DIY music in the MD/DC area that it would be impossible for me to list them all here. He was one of the funniest, strangest guys I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I can say, without a doubt, that Dan was a major force in pointing me in the direction of music, especially the punk/ska DIY scene in DC. If it weren't for the shows that he and Michelle struggled to get on a weekly basis hundreds of garage and basement bands would have never had a chance to strut their stuff on stage. The Konami Code would never have made it out of The Dojo, I'm sure of it.

Hodgkin's disease is a pretty shitty type of lymphoma that occurs almost equally in both young people (teens-twenties) and really old people (sixties and up). Instead of flowers or anything like that, the family (and I'm sure Dan) would like for mourners to make donations to leukemia and lymphoma reseach. They charity they've selected can be found here.

Please, if you knew Dan, or even if you just happen to have an extra 20 bucks lying around, I think it wouldn't hurt to make a donation.

Dan Hess 1976-2007

"So I wear my name
On a shirt that's blue.
Still, I have no shame
In doing what I have to do."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

even though i came along after the corner kick and the ratchet boys, because of dan and michelle i always had a place on the weekends to enjoy local music and feel like i had a place to belong. just because of that, i can safely say i wouldn't have the same diy ethics and appreciation for music without him.

11:00  
Anonymous Dad said...

Dan and Michelle were the force behind MusicFest too! We will miss him and his antics. A spare $20 is the least I can do.

11:23  
Blogger Ben said...

Changed my life, no doubt.

07:15  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home