3.08.2007

Okay, I'm Gonna Get A Bit Emotional Here

Ashley had an interesting blog post which mentioned patriotism yesterday. I've been thinking about it a lot since. And as if losing Steve Rogers wasn't enough today, my daily blog wanderings led me to this delightful image:



NOT OKAY!

This is not cool people. When I was a kid the part of saying the pledge that I always liked best was "liberty and justice for all."

For all.

Not for Christians, or Conservatives, or whoever else thinks they have some sort of claim or birthright to this country. In fact, before the mid-20th Century our pledge didn't even have that nonsense about "under god"...that was added to "combat communisum."

For all.

Which personally I don't believe means just Americans. In the spirit of our real Statue of Liberty I believe "for all" means for everyone in the world, all people should be welcome in our country.

I remember when I watched the movie Jesus Camp the thing that made me the most sick (out of all the twisted crap that happens to kids in the movie) was this clip:



The selfishness of Christians (a group who claim to have a monopoly on morality) just makes me so sick and sad and tired. Their imagined entitlement, their imagined sense of persecution when they are not only the majority, but the group in clear control of our government's policy.

What happened to:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


Yet these sick individuals want to turn our country into a mockery of that. They want to erect an actual fence, a Great Wall, to keep people out. They want the laws of our land to reflect the laws of a tired, old book that only they choose to follow. They've already built an idol (breaking their own laws) that disgraces our beautiful Lady Liberty. They pledge allegiance to their own flag so that they don't have to consider people who disagree with them to be their brothers and sisters, their countrymen, in the process forgetting that the liberty they're abusing is the only reason they're allowed to do that.

I remember the last two words that rolled off my tongue every morning of elementary school, right before we used to sing the words of Woody Guthrie together in a cheery voice. This land is your land, this land is my land. Before we sang we said the pledge. Those two words.

For all.

I believed them. Turns out most people in my country just lie through their teeth at that part.

7 Comments:

Blogger Isaac said...

Well, I got emotional too. EMO! EMO ALERT!

But seriously. I'm planning on leaving. It's going to take me some time because, you know, I just bought a house, and I run a business, and I have student loans and such, but I'm trying to work everything out so it will only take me a year or two.

Then I'm out of here.

08:11  
Blogger Emmett said...

Darrell Macin Doe,
Following a random dream I decided to find this outpost of your mind in the blogosphere and I'm glad I did. the dream goes as follows:
I find myself at some kind of local restaurant at a circular wood table. Also at this table is you alex, pat (at this point the scene is reminiscent of a teenclub ski trip where we sat at some cafeteria and made a mess of fries and ice), but also your wife/fiance coincidentally of japanese origin and her parents, a proper congenial mother and large grey-haired buzz-cut stoic father in a suit. I suppose chatter must be underway but it is interuptted by some comotion outside. When I got to the shuttered window and look out I find beer falling from the sky/roof in assorted size bottles, some as large as those plastic bottles you could get a baseball games that would be filled with popcorn but you could recycle as coin banks. In fact all the bottles are plastic since they are bouncing to some height with the beer intact. So I go down to the street to retreive some novelty size coronas when some attack on the harbor-city we are in (a hazy orange evening scene in what appears to be macau but I assume must be representing some japanese place i have never seen but composed from other pacific-asian imagery) the form of fireworks which are terrifying, spectacular but seemingly harmless. I climb onto the roof of some harbor-market structure to watch the show/attack and turn to see you, your lady and her stoic father getting into a black towncar to disappear down medieval japanese(I imagine)streets. end dream sequence.
I don't know what the significance of this was but I took it to mean I should drop you a line and see if you indeed have a bride with archetypical japanese parents. And to see what else is crackin which I see documented here for my convenience. Cool.

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

08:50  
Blogger darrell said...

Isaac: Yeah, I was actually just talking about this last night. My friend Ben was saying that he can't wait to formally renounce his citizenship (he's moving to the UK with his GF). I'm not sure how I really feel about it all in the end. I mean part of me wants to get the hell out of America for good, but part of me still loves many of the people and places in America and feels like it shouldn't give up the ship to a bunch of maniacs. I'm seriously torn on the issue.

Emmett: Wonderful to hear from you dude, and even better that you had this awesome dream to tell me about. I don't have a Japanese bride of late...and I don't plan to have one in the near future. But sweet dream nonetheless. How are things going with you? It's been ages...

09:58  
Blogger Ashuri said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:55  
Blogger Ashuri said...

"I choose not to run."
Becoming an ex-pat is extremely attractive to me, but I don't think our country is a lost cause, and I don't think that optimism or intitiative is naivete. I consider myself a lover of my country, what I dislike about my country has to do with the powerful and the ignorant. We can do A LOT to change ignorance. And by extending a hand to education in the States, we can very slowly and seemingly insignificantly effect the powerful. It's not necessarily a Christian's faith that I have great disdain for, but the lack of well-funded, prominent education in America. Most people in very rural, low-income areas leave it to the church to teach their children because it has a better promise than our public education. I think it is possible to change that.
I could say a lot more here, but I think we can do better in person. We gotta hang out someday man. It needs to happen. I always miss my chance at talking to you one way or another.

10:58  
Blogger darrell said...

Ashley: Yeah, I have the feeling I'm not ready to give up yet either, no matter how discouraged I get sometimes. Every time I get disheartened I also get pissed off, and being pissed off is what keeps me going.

I totally agree with you on the education thing. I would love to see a presidential candidate who launches a platform solely based on education reform and repairing our international ties in the wake of our recent war crimes and grevious diplomatic blunders. Of course they'd never get elected, and we're currently up to our necks in a political system that is bought and sold on a daily basis by people who could care less about us.

That being said, it doesn't mean we can't educate peopel on a grassroots level. The problem with reaching out to Christians (and other people of "faith"...I only pick on Christians because, as they love to selectively forget or stress given the spin they're trying to put on a situation, the fact that America is a "Christian nation")...the problem I have with Christians is that they don't want to learn...they close their eyes, ears and minds to reason and reality, and I think the biggest reason is their "faith." Have you ever tried to have an intelligent discussion with a person who believes the Earth is only 10,000 years old? It's not possible...they don't want dialogue, they want dogma. Something to believe and something to reject.

This is my problem with "faith." It may provide hope and charity and all manner of other wonderful crap, but what is also provides is an "out"...a way for people to give up, stop trying, refuse to understand the world around them. Why would anyone read a science text when they can have a preacher man "tell them how it is" on Sunday, then go back to ignoring the fact that America is a cesspool of greed and ignorance and hypocrisy. I mean these are people who can't see the foolishness in being Pro-Life and Pro-War at the same time...it astounds me.

I'll try my damnedest to educate when I get back to the States, it's my life's dream to be a teacher. But don't be surprised if the first people I reach out to aren't those who have absolutely no intention of listening to a single word I say...all because they have "faith" in something that's utterly false, fake, and irresponsible.

We really should hang out and chat in person, that went on waaaaay too long. What are you doing Sunday? I'm free!

12:07  
Blogger Isaac said...

I'm just worried about being stuck in a police state. I'm more pessimistic and I think the country is a lost cause, and because of that, I need to get the hell out.

I had a meeting with my parents this morning about CatPrint and at the end I talked to them about this, and they basically said that they had been planning to talk to me about it anyway for some time.

I don't think it's safe to stay here. Maybe right now it is, but in ten years? I doubt it.

08:00  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home