1.25.2007

This Is Why We Can't "Win" In Iraq

I was reading an article over at the New York Times and I was suddenly struck with the reality of the current state of the Iraq conflict: We cannot "win."

Now believe me, I know a lot of us have said or thought that before, I definitely have. But just think about it for a second. We cannot win. And I don't mean in the mushy "nobody wins in a war" sense, what I mean is there is absolutely no strategic victory that can be achieved (short of dropping a "Wrath of God" on the board).

I think this bit of the article said it best:
As the morning wore on and the troops came under fire from all directions, another apparent flaw in this strategy became clear as empty apartments became lairs for gunmen who flitted from window to window and killed at least one American soldier, with a shot to the head.

Whether the gunfire was coming from Sunni or Shiite insurgents or militia fighters or some of the Iraqi soldiers who had disappeared into the Gotham-like cityscape, no one could say.

“Who the hell is shooting at us?” shouted Sgt. First Class Marc Biletski, whose platoon was jammed into a small room off an alley that was being swept by a sniper’s bullets. “Who’s shooting at us? Do we know who they are?”

Our soldiers don't even know who they're fighting, so how will 20,000 more make a difference?

I could launch into a huge summary of the history of this Iraq war and its various failures and blunders, but I think everyone knows that the real mistake is that we let our government get away with the criminal act of declaring a never-ending war on an idea. It used to be Communism, now it's Terrorism, which is even more broad and ill-defined.

The war won't end in Iraq; the war can't end in Iraq.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if you Wrath-ed they'd just drop a rebel card and continue to summon more and more of them, whittling away your life bit by bit while you wait to draw your DS Colossus.

I read a quote from GHWBush about Desert Storm the other day which I found fascinating:

"Whose life would be on my hands as the commander-in-chief because I, unilaterally, went beyond the international law, went beyond the stated mission, and said we're going to show our macho? We're going into Baghdad. We're going to be an occupying power — America in an Arab land — with no allies at our side. It would have been disastrous."

Even the guy's dad thinks he's a fuckup.

02:41  
Blogger Ashuri said...

I stupidly reread 'The Watchmen' and finished it just before I watched the 'State of the Union' address.
Remind me not to do that again.

11:30  
Blogger darrell said...

Isaac: It truly is amazing that we have such a terrified, ignorant, sycophantic society that they'd actually let Bush get away with all this, yet a large majority of our country has sat by while these events unfolded and blindly said, "We trust him." The truly sick part is that those with the most influence, our representatives in the US Congress, have kissed his ass until just this past 6 months or so. In the light of that quote by his father, this is truly unbelievable.

Ashley: I dunno man, I think it's always important to re-read Watchmen at least once a year. Maybe not before the SotU though...before that you should always read V For Vendetta. It's all about the viking funeral.

14:57  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home