12.08.2006

My Awesome Kids

Recent funny stuff my kids have done/said:

Today, in my 2nd Year class, they were writing little excerpts about their town, Asahi. The kids had to write about 5 sentences and then I checked them. Most were pretty mundane, as in: "I live in Asahi. It has a library. It doesn't have a convenience store. Etc." But this one girl brought hers up and the first line was: "There is a city fool near the bus stop." I thought she was talking about some village drunk that I'd yet to meet, it turns out she had just misspelled/misheard the word "city hall."

Yesterday, in my 3rd Year class, I was using the general idea of Yukihime's Penny Arcade Remix Project and having the kids make little comics with old PA strips. One of my girls, who actually isn't that great at English, turned out a gem. It's a rewriting of a portion of this comic. I don't have a scanner so I've recreated it as faithfully as possible here:



The subtext there is uncomfortably hilarious. If you don't get it, I don't think I can explain it to you.

The other day, I was joking with some of my 3rd Year girls at lunch. We were having a whole fried fish (head, tail, and all) and I told them mine's name was Jimmy (an ode to Steve Regotti, wherever you are). They didn't get my joke and were wondering why I was such a weirdo that I had named my fish. I asked them to name theirs and they wouldn't. Well today, one girl claimed she saw a face in her soup...two carrots for eyes, a potato nose, and an onion mouth. I asked her the soup person's name and she thought for a second and replied "Atsuko" which is a pun in Japanese because Atsuko is a very common girl's name and if you break it apart the "atsu" means hot and the "ko" means child. I guess I'm finally rubbing off on them. Joy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous jamie said...

awww! i love this. that's pretty witty of an elementary school kid.

06:47  
Blogger darrell said...

Ah, sorry, 3rd year here is the 3rd year of Junior High. My bad. But it's still pretty damn witty.

21:58  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home