12.19.2006

I guess this is good

I was thinking about how everyone is going home. Some have left, some leave tonight, some leave tomorrow. I get to see my family, but I'm not going home, they're coming here. Which is awesome.

But what I've realized is that I don't need to be home. It's not that I don't miss it, it's just that I know I'll be back there eventually and it's not that important that I go right now. A lot of people I've talked to see going home as a chance to be rejuvenated or re-energized or something, but I feel like I'm ready to head back into the ring for as many rounds as it takes to finish, and I think this is a good thing.

So to all my people back home, I love you guys and I miss you guys. I can't wait to be in your company again. But I think for the first time I'm looking at Japan not as a temporary home, or a vacation spot, but as my actual home for the next year or more, much the same way as I ended up feeling about NYC (and I still do kinda consider Brooklyn my home away from home).

I like this concept of having more than one home. I like the feeling of being able to feel comfortable anywhere.

EDIT: PS- Check out me as Santa!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Fran said...

Darling Darrell,

You are not supposed to make an old lady cry at Christmas, but I will miss you this year. Enough of that emotional bull-shit. I know how happy you are and how delighted you are to have your Mom and Dad and G come for the holidays. A great adventure for all of you. I must admit that Christmas Vacation and Clark were just not the same without you but I know you are safe and most of all happy and that is the absolutely best Christmas gift I can get. I sent a little something with your Mom I hope you get a kick out of it. Please remember to give your Mom extra hugs and kisses as they will have to keep her until next December. Have a fantastic holiday and know that you are in my heart and in my prayers.

xoxoxoxoxox

Fran

22:40  
Anonymous ashley said...

I died looking at the Santa set. So cute! babiezzzz!!

01:49  
Anonymous Dad said...

Could you pick some place warmer next time? :)

Can't wait to see you...

06:42  
Anonymous isaac said...

Hey dude, I totally agree with everything you said in this post, and I'm glad you feel the same way about living in foreign places (whether they be another city or another country). Sure, you might eventually end up living in Japan, but for right now, you have a limited time, and it seems somehow wasteful to just go running back to the familiarity of America after less than a year away.

When I was much younger my family experienced this in England. My dad's company gave us tons of money so that we could visit America every two months. We used the money to travel around England and the rest of Europe. Now that I'm older, I couldn't be happier with what we did. Instead of having memories of awkward times in my previous country, I have all these sweet times in Scotland and Spain and Greece to look back on.

You should wallow in all the Nihongalesiness as much as you can while you have the chance.

Preach on, brother wolf.

00:14  
Anonymous darcyann3 said...

D... talked to your Mom yesterday.. so excited for all of you getting together in Japan! We miss you and hope you have a wonderful time with the fam! We love reading your blog and experiencing Japan vicariously through your thoughts and observations. So proud of you, dude! : ) Love and X's and O's Darcy, Bryan and Katy..

05:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Darrell, you are one cool Santa! I've enjoyed your adventures so much from reading your posts. Neat treat having your family come visit. Keith and Erika were here for a week and a half at Thanksgiving time, but his greasetruck had some problems on the way back to Detroit. I'm glad you're feeling like a resident of the world and not just of here. Love from the Wagners.

01:28  
Anonymous Auntie D said...

Hey ! Checking in to see if any posts about the fam... hope you are having/had a fantabulous time! Looking forward to hearing/reading about all the adventures. Keep warm and safe! XO Darcy

07:20  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home